The Florida Anime Experience Costume Contest is a chance for costume enthusiasts to show off their hard work and passion for dressing up like popular anime, manga, and Japanese pop culture inspired characters. For 2015, we’re thrilled to offer something very special…
THE “BEST OF SHOW” WINNER WILL WIN A WEEKEND PASS, HOTEL, AND A TRAVEL STIPEND (FOR GROUND TRANSPORTATION) TO COMPETE IN THE COSTUME COMPETITION AT MOMOCON IN ATLANTA, GEORGIA!
- You must have purchased an entry into Florida Anime Experience 2015 in order to enter/present on stage for the Costume Contest.
- The Costume Contest is a family-oriented event. Please keep all costumes to a “PG-13″ rating (i.e. no nudity or overly revealing attire).
- No bought costumes. Costumes must be 50% crafted or more. You may purchase parts of a costume, but said parts must be disclosed during the judging process. If you are not the maker of your costume (and simply modeling), said creator of the costume must be present with you upon entry. If the costume wins an award, the award will go to the creator of the costume.
- All weapons and props must conform with Florida Anime Experience rules, convention center policies, and local laws concerning carrying a weapon. If there is a question of doubt, don’t bring it.
- Please provide reference images of the character you are dressed as. We cannot guarantee the judges will know what your character looks like, so having something to compare to will help you as much as them! Please provide this image on a piece of paper to attach to your costume contest registration form. No digital images (i.e. cell phones, iPads, portable computers, tablets, etc.) or books can be submitted for your reference image. Please print the picture out for the judges.
- All entries must be sourced from an anime, manga, or video games of Japanese origin. This means “original characters” are not permitted in the contest.
- Each costume must be entered separately. The costumes may be presented on stage (and prejudged) together, but each costume is judged as a separate entry. Simply put: the “Best of Show” award can only go to one individual and not a group. The “Best Group” award, however, is an example of multiple entries being presented together to win this award.
- The contest will be limited to 100 entries total. So get to the prejudging on time with your costume contest form filled out! NOTE: Costume Contest registration is available in advance OR at the convention. You may pick up on-site forms at the convention Registration Desk when you pick up your badge/wristband or fill out the form below.
- Florida Anime Experience reserves the right to modify, update, or amend the rules at any time… just in case.
- All entrants must be over 18 years old OR have the signature of a parent or guardian to participate. (This is due to the travel restrictions involved with the Florida Anime Experience 2014 Grand Prize. Space for parental/guardian consent is on the entry form at the convention.)
- Previous grand prize winners are permitted to participate, but not with his/her previous winning costume or any derivative of said costume.
- In the event that the Best of Show winner can not accept the prize for any reason, Florida Anime Experience will assign another prize of equal or lesser value (at the discretion of Green Mustard Entertainment, Inc.)
- Have fun!
PREJUDGING (all contestants wishing to compete MUST be at prejudging) will take place Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 3:00 PM in Panels (Oleander).
SET UP (all contestants MUST report to Main Events for the Contest at this time) the same day at 7:30 PM.
THE CONTEST takes place that same Saturday at 8:00 PM in Main Events (Salon C&D)
- Best of Show (aka “THE winner”) – winner receives a trip to MomoCon to compete in one of Georgia’s largest fan convention costume contests!
- Best Individual (aka “the winner that’s not THE winner”)
- Best Costume Group (aka “the folks who looked cool together in costume”)
- Best Craftsmanship (aka “the costume that is constructed flawlessly”)
- Best Prop (aka “that’s a cool thingy you made for your costume”)
- Honorable Mention (aka “you were good enough for us to notice”)
- Three (3) Judges Awards (aka “the judges have favorites that didn’t win something else”)
- The Wasabi Award (aka “don’t ask; we’re giving it out because we can”)
Registration this year will be ON SITE only. You can pick and drop off your registration form at the On-Site Registration Desk (where FAE Merchandise Sales are.)